Tuesday, February 7, 2017

18-Point-Whatever: Nothing Ever Changes

The Case in 189 Words:


Sarah Morrissey is tending bar at a party hosted by Lawrence Hendricks, Senior, head honcho of Avalon Stores. Creepy Grandpa gives awkward Grandson Eric some “advice” about picking up women, and instead of going for one of the guests, Eric opts for Sarah. They drink some fancy, exclusive tequila and the next thing we know Sarah wakes up, dazed and confused with her shirt unbuttoned and her pants down. She hightails it out of there, goes to SVU, reports the rape, we learn Fin is “studying” for the Sergeant’s exam, and the detectives start investigating. Since the writers left absolutely nothing to suspense, we learn two related men raped Sarah, someone drugged her, Grandpa has a long history of sexual abuse, Eric has been shielded from the knowledge that his grandfather was a sexual predator, Grandpa and daughter collude to fake mental illness, LH, J.. spills the family secrets to his son, Sarah sets up Lawrence in a sting, Benson lies to flip Sue Ann, Eric testifies, Hendricks, Senior is convicted of rape, Benson comforts Sarah, and we end up back at SVU where Carisi fields yet another call.

My Thoughts in Unlimited Words


The suspense ended at Quaaludes. I didn't have to Google that pill but only because some character in a book I once read was addicted to them, but anyway, I knew those were old school and of course Eric didn't use them to drug Sarah. I mean, yeah, the kid lacked confidence, but surely there was more to the story than him drugging Sarah, raping her, and his family trying to cover it up. Too simple.

Wait. It kinda did go down like that, didn't it? Only with a different perp.

I don't know how a showrunner or whoever decides which scripts end up being episodes, but SURELY THERE WAS A BETTER OPTION? There weren't even any interesting gray areas in this one--it was pretty cut and dry. A drugged and/or intoxicated person cannot give consent. It's a no-no to drug someone. Wealthy rich men often have a sense of entitlement which leads to offensive (at best) or criminal (at worst) behavior. The mental incompetency "twist" wasn't convincing, I. Am. So. Bored.

Hey! Eps like these are great for marathons because they involve zero continuity and absolutely no required watching of previous episodes to understand. Very 1.0. Stop this Rick Eid train, I wanna get off! Wait...I'll just jump.

And I promise I'll let this #Tuckson break up bitterness go eventually (I'm lying), but I suppose #Tuckson wasn't really even broken up in this ep because the scene card thingies are dated BEFORE Chasing Theo. Anyway, not that it matters, in Rick's world they all sleep at the precinct and talk only to each other.

And speaking of talking.........what a lame ass way to end the ep. I really hope that scene doesn't portend the rest of the season. I mean, I know it's a procedural and all, but one can only take so much of:

A) a rape is reported
B) SVU investigates
C) the victim is imperfect and the perp may or may not be very "perpish"
D) Court
E) Camera on the squad whose expressions alternate between horrified and heartbroken
F) Verdict
G) No #Tuckson (I SAID "EVENTUALLY")

Style Guide


Olivia Margaret Benson in a leather blazer is life.

Fic Writers Could Fill in the Blanks With:


I'm not sure I care anymore, but keep that #Tuckson ship, sailing, y'all!

Ain't No Party Like An SVU Watch Party


WWBD?

Quotable


"I'll save you a Q-Tip. I had sex with that girl."
Ewwwwwwwwwww. That's enough.

Is It Next Wednesday, Yet?


399/400 coming up next

i think





No comments:

Post a Comment