Friday, January 31, 2020

A Final #Tuckson Goodbye

The #42Minutes

Well, guys...

Ugh.

I will say, Robert John Burke knocked it out of the park on his final #SVU episode, and I must dole out kudos to the writers and producers for clearing the stage and giving the episode to Mariska and Bobby to take home. Their chemistry is unmatched and I like to think the two of them hated that it had to end this way. 

Speaking of ending this way...

SERIOUSLY?

I won't ramble like I did three years ago. 

I do wonder what the powers that be have against either RJB or the character. Warren Leight so deliberately and artfully transformed Tucker into a suitable partner for Benson, made the relationship believable, and then made us fall in love. Yet, after he left Tucker, Benson, and Noah in a good place, Eidteen & Co. fucked it up...but not so much that it couldn't be salvaged. But instead of nudging them back together, our clamoring for Tucker's return was met with his marriage to another woman and his soul crushing death. 

For what?

I've said it a million times, but I think I'm committed to the sentiment now. I'm officially sick and tired of watching Olivia Benson tortured.

I will forever mourn not just the relationship but the stories, tension, and, yes, joy that a married-to-Tucker Captain Benson could have experienced. I am not here for another season or two or three or, if the 25 rumor is accurate, four of Benson agony. And the worst part is, I don't think I'll ever be able to buy in to another love interest. Tucker was just too perfect.

Setting their last scene similar to Heartfelt Passages was not only unfair, it was borderline cheesy. As was the Paris pic which she just happened to have in her desk? Tucker, at least, got some closure from Benson admitting she was too scared to let herself love him, but I will never excuse the writers for ignoring that they were in a relationship for OVER A YEAR and never once did he check in? Not when Noah was kidnapped? Not when she was being investigated for child abuse? And he didn't ask about Noah in their not one but two closure conversations? 

I feel like someone instructed WL to wipe the slate clean of Tucker already and shut everyone up. Mission accomplished. While I will always acknowledge the show is not a soap opera and has a broader purpose, #Tuckson added an addictive element that cannot be replicated. We see so many #SVU cases in real life...and while it's always gratifying to see the squad busting a perp and relentlessly pursuing justice, it was nice, for a while, to root for Benson and Tucker's seemingly improbable love story unfolding on the periphery. 

That dance card (such a Tucker line, btw) had some room for him...OMB just needed some help to realize it.

I doubt WL wanted it to end this way, and I'm irrevocably sad Bobby Burke will no longer grace the screen as Ed Tucker. I will probably still watch the show, but with less devotion than before. And for those of you who love the fic world I've created for these characters, that will go on until I join Tucker...wherever he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment