Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A #Secret Theory

What is the secret?

I've been cynical because the last (canon and aired) secret was the middle name, and I'm still hesitant to get excited about what I see as a hit-or-miss 19th season. However, it's been 24 hours and I can't shake this theory.

Benson's secret being that she was raped is a little too easy.

I think she was unknowingly in the early stages of pregnancy when she was first kidnapped by William Lewis and, as a result of her injuries and the entire ordeal, she miscarried.

This fits into the Benson-as-Mom-Centric arc of the season (even though I think I read somewhere this episode is supposed to be a standalone HargiShowcase), and it ties into her breakup with Cassidy and his subsequent S19 mini-rant about her unwillingness to talk to him. There is just enough lack of S15 detail to leave the door open to this possibility, and imagine how conflicted Olivia would've felt when she learned the news that she'd been carrying a child...and then thinking she was "over it" and wanting to be pregnant only to realize that Brian Cassidy was not and would never be the third piece of that puzzle. Imagine that Benson rock-bottom-ness...how excruciating it must have been for her then how exhilarating to...get her soul back...on Judge Linden's hunch...

I'm sure the more savvy  SVU fans will rabidly toss this aside quickly, but, like I said, I can't stop thinking about it.

But, then again, maybe I've become too attached to This is Us.


No comments:

Post a Comment